Happy Easter! Did you know that Easter is now the second biggest candy day of the year following a close second to Halloween! Easter Baskets filled with sweet treats have always been a tradition in our home. This year while purchasing the typical sweets; including my favorite the marshmallow Peeps, I decided to check out some of the nutritional statistics. Though some are fat free the calorie / sugar content are quite high! Here are the facts per serving!
- Marshmallow Peeps (5) – 140 calories, 0 fat
- Jelly Beans (23) – 140 calories, 0 fat
- Large Chocolate Bunny (7 oz = 5 servings ) – 220 calories, 13 fat grams
- White Chocolate Bunny (7 oz = 5 servings ) – 220 calories, 13 fat grams
- Coconut Cream Easter Egg (8 oz = 6 servings) – 170 calories, 3.5 fat grams
- Peanut Butter Easter Egg (6 oz = 4 servings) – 220 calories, 13 fat grams
- Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Eggs (7) – 200 calories, 12 fat grams
- Cadbury Cream Egg (1) – 150 calories, 6 fat grams
- Mini Malted Eggs (29) – 190 calories, 7 fat grams
A good way to enjoy your Easter tradition without totally giving up the sweets is to simply switch up some of the candy for non editable treats such as; crayons, coloring books, hair accessories, sun glasses or small toys! Remember to keep in mind portion control and the fact that it takes 3,500 calories to equal one pound! My favorite tip – Once Easter is over make sure to get the remaining candy out of the house so you won’t be tempted; you can get rid of it, give away or even take in to work or school!