Fool Proof Ways to Stay Healthy at Work
According the Bureau of Labor Statistics; people ages 25 to 54 spend 8.7 hours at work or doing work related activities on an average work day. That equals approximately 43.5 hours per week!
During those hours are you helping or hindering your fitness goals? The office or even the home office can be a challenging place to stay healthy!
Donuts and muffins in morning meetings, cakes and treats for birthdays and celebrations, bowls of candy on a co workers desk and not to mention the lack of exercise due to sitting at a desk can all add up to trouble!
The best way to avoid these challenges is to have a game plan. Remember the more you move the more calories you will burn! Here are some fool proof ways to make those 43.5 hours at work a little healthier!
- Avoid the high calorie, high fat morning pastries by eating a healthy breakfast before you get to work and always keep healthy snacks in your desk drawer. Granola, nuts or dried fruit are great non-perishable options.
- Enjoy the office celebrations by practicing portion control. Have only a couple bites of cake or, this is one of my favorite tips, wait until the end of the day, the party cake is usually old, not as fresh and truly not as appetizing.
- When possible avoid walking past the snack and vending area. Take the long way around to help eliminate temptation and burn even more calories.
- Be sure you stand up and stretch at least once an hour.
- Use these easy hints and tips to burn even more calories throughout your day.
- Always take the steps
- Stand up when you are on the phone
- Use the rest room on a different floor
- Sit on a stability ball instead of a desk chair
- Walk to a coworker’s desk instead of sending a text or an email
- Put your beverage on a table other than your desk so you have to get up to have a drink
- Never Ever eat at your desk