Happy Thanksgiving! The holidays are such a great time of year! As cliche as it sounds, I am truly thankful for my family and those special friends that are just like family!
I have to laugh because the recurring theme in the gym seems to be – I need to work really hard so I can eat a ton of food on Thanksgiving! And I totally agree – I love Thanksgiving dinner! I decided to do some research to find out just how many calories are in my favorite Thanksgiving dishes! Here’s what I found out: remember these are approximations, the actual calorie count is determined by how the food is prepared.
- 6 oz of turkey – 450 calories (dark meat contains 2 times the fat as white meat)
- 1 cup of stuffing – 400 calories
- 1 cup of mashed potatoes – 350 calories
- 1 cup of giblet gravy – 300 calories
- 1/2 cup of candied sweet potatoes – 400 calories
- 1/2 cup of cranberry sauce – 200 calories
- 1 cup of peas w/ butter – 150 calories
- 1/2 cup green bean casserole – 120 calories
- 1/2 cup creamed spinach – 135 calories
- 2 buttermilk biscuits w/ butter – 250 calories
- 1 slice of pumpkin pie w/ whip cream – 480 calories
- 2 glasses of wine – 250 calories
WOW – they are some interesting numbers! Not to worry – you have to consume an additional 3,500 calories to gain 1 pound, even with the above numbers that’s still a lot! So do what we’re doing – work really hard between now and Thanksgiving & of course remember portion control!
Be Fit, Be Healthy, Be Happy.