Chef Cindy McClure, Classical Cooking
Cook Time: 15 Minutes | Serves 4
Vegetarian Lentil Dip Ingredients:
- 1 lb. Hatfield® Recipe Essentials® Hot or Sweet Italian Ground Sausage or cooked lentils 2 cups
- package of cream cheese
- 1 (10 oz) can diced tomato and mild green chili, drained of water
- 1 can of corn, drained
- ¼ c chopped red onion
- 1 T chopped cilantro (parsley can be substituted)
- 1 fresh jalapeño, minced
Vegetarian Lentil Dip Directions:
- If using meat; Cook sausage over medium high heat until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- If preparing as vegetarian: wash and rinse lentils, bring lentils to a boil in salted water, then simmer for 5-7 until tender. Drain, cool.
- Put cream cheese in a microwave-safe dish, cover, and microwave on high for 2½ minutes. Remove from microwave, and add most of the sausage, stir in the can of diced tomato, and mild green chili mix, reserving ½ cup of sausage for garnish.
- Re-cover and microwave for another 2½ minutes, or until cheese is thoroughly melted and warm all the way through.
- Remove cover and garnish with remaining sausage and jalapeño.