Eat Healthy Dining Out with these 10 solutions
Whether you are on vacation, traveling for business or just enjoying a meal out with family or friends; if you are not careful restaurant meals can sabotage your healthy eating and dieting efforts. We have all been told to pay attention to portion sizes, chose an appetizer as your entrée, take half of your meal home or split it with a friend but here are some other easy solutions to eat healthy, but still enjoy your meal, when you are dining out.
- When possible chose a restaurant that features healthy options such as; low-fat, low-cholesterol or heart healthy selections. Check the menu online and plan your meal ahead of time so you are not tempted with unhealthier options when you arrive.
- Always avoid buffets and ‘all you can eat’ specials.
- Avoid temptation, by asking that the bread, chips, peanuts or pretzels be removed from your table.
- Select entries that are steamed, poached, roasted or baked in their own juices. Avoid foods that are described as; fried, pan fried or roasted, au gratin, braised, buttered, creamed, sautéed or escalloped
- Always ask your server if you are not sure how a meal is prepared and if you can substitute a starchy side for a healthier option, such as a salad, a cup of broth based soup or a second vegetable.
- Always order sauces, dressings, gravy or condiments on the side
- Avoid thick butter sauces, béarnaise, Alfredo or sauces that sound creamy opt for both, stock or wine based sauces
- When eating meat be sure to trim off all the fat; select the lean cuts of meat such as filet, flank, or London broil steak
- Even though the salad bar sounds healthy be aware of hidden calories and fat grams.
- Fresh fruit, sherbet, gelatin or angel food cake are healthier alternatives for dessert.