Beth Campbell, Feats of Real Eats
- One Cabbage – thinly sliced, reserving 3 outer leaves
- 2 Tablespoons Salt
- 3 Quart Large Mouth Mason Jars
- Massage salt into Cabbage working in small batches to release the cabbages natural juices
- Fill the mason jars with the cabbage and liquid release, pressing down firmly as you go
- About 1-2 inches from the top, use the cabbage leaves to secure all of the finely sliced cabbage under the liquid. Place a weight or small ramekin on top to keep all cabbage under the liquid.
- Leave on the counter (I cover with a towel to prevent dirt, flies, etc from getting in) for 1-2 weeks. Place on a tray to catch any extra liquid and check daily and add water to ensure the cabbage stays covered as needed.
- Start taste testing at one week and once it is to your liking, move to the fridge where it will no longer ferment and last indefinitely.
Be Fit. Be Healthy. Be Happy.