Being fit and healthy should be on the top of our to-do list all year long, not just a focus on New Year’s Eve. However; studies from the University of Scranton show that 40 to 45% of Americans make one or more New Year’s Resolutions each year and you guessed it – topping that list is weight loss and exercise. Unfortunately only 46% of those individuals that set goals are still maintaining their resolutions in June. Now it is easier than you think to create YOUR fitness success, simply use these 8 guidelines to fit in more fitness, be less stressed and eat clean all year long!
- Do regular workouts of 30 minutes or more at least 5 times a week.
According to the American Heart Association even if you divide that time up into smaller chunks or segments you will still get the same benefit
- Plan your meals and snacks and always have a healthy breakfast every day.
Studies show you make your worst food choices when you are hungry and don’t have a game plan
- Include fruits and vegetables at every meal and drink plenty of water.
Aim for 5 to 9 servings of fruit & veggies every day; keep in mind a single cup serving size is approximately what will fit in your cupped hand
- Limit your consumption of alcohol, caffeine, energy drinks and soda.
1 soda or energy drink everyday for a month equals approximately 17 ½ cups of sugar
- Keep stress levels down and practice relaxation techniques like yoga or meditation.
Experts also recommend simply sitting quietly and clearing your mind for a couple of minutes throughout your day
- Get rid of high calorie, unhealthy foods and replace them with wholesome, ‘good for you’ snacks.
Keep those healthy snacks at eye level in your cabinets and refrigerator so they are the first choices you see
- Get enough sleep.
Adults should get 7 to 9 hours per night
- Incorporate more activity into your everyday life.
Use the steps instead of the elevator, Park in the back of the parking lot, Stand up, Walk More
Be Fit. Be Healthy. Be Happy.